Friday, June 11, 2010

Good Morning and TGIF!!

Enjoying my coffee this fine Friday morning while all the youngins' are still asleep.  So I did some research and this morning picked out my training schedule to train for my marathon.  It's a 25 week training plan and I still have 35 weeks till my marathon, but I'm going to get to getting starting on Monday.  Here is what that marathon training schedule looks like...

If you notice the longest run on this training schedule is 20 miles, I've heard from a few people who have actually trained for and completed a full marathon that they wish their training had the them run the full 26 miles.  With this said I think that between weeks 22 and 23 I'm going to add two more weeks in there and get in a full 26 before the race.  The theory is that your momentum from the first 20 will get through the last six, but I've heard from runners (one of them being my wonderful husband) that at mile 20 your body actually hits a wall and wants to shut down.  For him the last six was the hardest part of the whole race, and well seeing as I'm not a "real" runner I could see this being a struggle for me.  I know for my first half marathon the longest I ran prior was 10 miles and at mile 10 during the race I could my muscles tighten up and at miles 11 and 12 I wanted to be put out of my misery.  I did this walk/run thing, mostly walk...well really it was more of hobble thing because I knew if I stopped moving I was done for and I'll be damned if I was going to go 11 miles and not finish that last 2.1 miles.  Side note...I was soo mad at this marathon, because they ran out of finisher medals, so I never received one.  I know that may sound trivial, but I like shiny blingy things and wanted the medal so I could hold it and show people that I had completed a half marathon.  I did however get a medal for my second one, the Disney Princess 1/2, and in true Disney fashion it is super duper shiny and blingy!!    OK, so I'm not completely insane (yes, I'm admitting I might be partially insane), I'm not running 26.2 miles just for a shiny blingy medal,, it's for a wonderful cause...............

 

and I think it would be so awesome to have a marathon on my resume of life's accomplishments.  Now this may sound a bit silly, but there is a story behind this.  When I was six years old I was diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis (JRA) in my left knee.  All through my childhood I was not allowed to participate in running activities during gym glass and was in and out of the hospital at least once a year for five years.  Every time my arthritis would act up I would end up in the hospital where I would go through PT that was unsuccessful, then I would receive a cortisone shot in my knee (those are very large and painful needles)  Crying and then from there I would go through PT again.  During the second round of PT I would have to learn to walk again and do other simple activities like kicking a ball or walking up stairs.  As a child my doctor told my parents that when I was an adult I would probably end up in a wheel chair because of my arthritis....well thus far this has not happen, and God willing never will.  The sporadic running that I have been doing over the past two and a half years has been sort of liberating for me, the girl who could not participate in gym in Elementary school and who was made fun of a lot because of this.  Yes, in my opinion (at least when I was growing up), elementary kids were cruelest little boogers.  Although in the past year my knee has bothered me here and there, which admittedly has freaked me out a little, I'm determined to finish this marathon because I've already beat the odds laid against me when I was a child, and I'm going to keep going.  I guess you could say I have something to prove.  Now I'm not looking to win the race by being one of
 the first across the finish line, I'm in no danger of that, however, I planning on winning this race by crossing the finish line and finishing what I have started. Cheerleader 2 

Oh well, my time is up this morning, as I hear the pitter patter of little feet heading this way, someone is up.  Have a FABULOUS FRIDAY!!!

 It's Friday





No comments:

Post a Comment